Can I Appeal a Rejected Offer In Compromise?

Get Help

If your offer in compromise has been rejected you do have the option to appeal. In order to appeal, you must have received a 30 day letter rejecting your offer in compromise and be a W-2 wage earner. The rejection letter will list the reasons why the offer was not accepted.

Taxpayers have 30 days to appeal a rejected offer in compromise and have two ways to do so. The first way would be to prepare a Form 13711 or a separate letter with specific information. The information in that letter would have to include your name, address, social security number and phone number where you can be best reached at. You’ll also need to include a statement that you want to appeal the IRS findings to the Appeals office along with a copy of your rejected offer letter and the tax period involved.

Next you’ll need a to create a list of the items you don’t agree with and why exactly you don’t agree with them. You can also include any additional information that you think Appeals should consider and facts supporting your position on any issues that you don’t agree with. Lastly, be sure to specify the law or authority on which you are relying and sign the written protest, stating that everything is true under the penalties of perjury.

Need to Appeal a Rejected Offer In Compromise?

Request Assistance

Submit the form below and we will contact you with further information

Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed to our newsletter.